After visiting the pumpkin patch with your family, there’s only one real way to put that freshly picked winter squash to good use: pumpkin carving.
Halloween is the perfect time for artists to let their creativity flags fly. When they’re not creating incredible costumes, they’re putting their carving skills to the test by making some pretty epic jack-o’-lanterns. These men and women create things out of their gourds that I could only dream of.
On the other end of the spectrum, though, are the artistically challenged. Admittedly, I belong in this group. While these guys give it their all to create some kick-ass carved pumpkins, in most cases these creators probably shouldn’t be trusted with a knife.
So to celebrate this Halloween’s pumpkin carving highs and lows, here are 30 of the best and worst pumpkin carving projects on the internet.
1. So that’s what happens when your face starts drooping because of old age.
2. If this were a competition, you’d definitely get a participation trophy.
— Janelle (@JanellleAyala) October 27, 2014
3. Twenty points for Ravenclaw!
4. When your haunted house turns out looking more like an owl with a Christmas tree.
5. This pumpkin comes with a bit of country twang.
6. No amount of duct tape could fix this pumpkin travesty.
7. Painting your pumpkin isn’t going to cover up the fact that it’s an epic fail.
8. If it ain’t baroque, don’t fix it.
9. Hopefully E.T. is making collect calls.
10. I wonder what it was supposed to be.
— ♡Cheyenne♡ (@lilchey_xo) October 30, 2012
11. Ziggy Stardust returned to earth in the form of this epic jack-o’-lantern.
12. She realized her carving skills weren’t up to par, so she just stopped mid cut.
13. Why waste the innards when you can use them to decorate your pumpkin.
14. Me after a night of heavy drinking.
15. He was on the right track until he forgot to give this cat eyes.
16. Not sure what’s worse — the carving job or the makeup.
— David Arst (@ArstDa67) November 8, 2014
17. Don’t do drugs kids.
18. This castle certainly isn’t fit for a princess.
— emily (@EmilyOConnor16) October 31, 2014
19. They really captured his complexion to a T.
20. I could only dream of being this talented.
21. You had one job and you failed miserably.
22. I can only imagine how scary this thing looks with the lights off.
23. If at first you don’t succeed, you should probably just stop trying.
24. This jack-o’-lantern talks a bit too much.
26. What’s that hissing sound?
27. This pumpkin’s got his eyes on you.
28. The detail here is marvelous.
29. This carver wasn’t messing around when it came to his Gremlins-inspired design.
30. While this isn’t technically a jack-o-lantern, this dad earns some creativity points in my book.
I’d share my own jack-o’-lanterns from this year, but you’d probably all just laugh at me.