In September 2016, Cindy Garcia received a voicemail from Addicott Elementary saying that her special-needs daughter was vomiting white chunks and starting to turn purple.
As soon as she arrived at the school, the California mom immediately smelled a strong odor of bleach coming from her 10-year-old. What the person who left the voicemail didn’t mention was that somebody at the school had administered bleach through her daughter’s feeding tube. Now Garcia is suing the Fresno Unified School District for negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
It isn’t known who exactly gave her daughter bleach or how it happened, but Garcia says that the principal of the school, Katrina Pleshe, withheld the important detail until Garcia said that she was going to take her daughter to the hospital.
According to court documents, school officials didn’t call 9-1-1, poison control, or any medical facility when they found out what had happened.
The fifth grader was reportedly aware that she had been given bleach, but unable to communicate it to others. In addition to getting aspiration pneumonia, a lung infection caused by inhaling vomit, she suffered permanent damage to her trachea, esophagus, stomach, and lungs.